I have a secret to share. I have never ever had a caprese salad.
How is this possible? Am I crazy? No – I am just lactose intolerant. The thought of that much cheese makes my stomach hurt almost as bad as if I had actually eaten that much cheese. It sounds tasty. It looks amazing, but I should not eat it if I want my stomach to love me later. But, I do know one little secret, and that’s Kraft shredded cheese. It has zero grams of lactose per serving. That’s right, zero. None. Nada. And it fills my need for cheese.
I was cleaning out our fridge yesterday and realized that we had some cherry tomatoes that were about to go bad. So, after much thinking, I decided to try my hand at an easy version of caprese bread. It was a HUGE success. I cannot wait to make some more of this. I only wish that I had not run out of fresh basil. It would have made this bread even more flavorful and delicious. My husband even liked it. And it had spinach in it! If you know my husband, you know that spinach and him do not mix.
I highly recommend this as a great way to sneak in a few extra servings of veggies at dinner. It’s easy to make, requires very few ingredients, and is completely vegetarian. Did I mention it’s also yummy? Because it totally is!
Anyways, now that you are probably drooling, let me share with you the recipe.
1 1/4 cup of flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried basil (if you have fresh basil, it would be even better to cut some up and put it in)
3 cups spinach, loosely chopped
1 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 packet quick yeast
1 cup warm/hot water (follow yeast instructions)
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Start by adding yeast packet to warm/hot water. Be sure to follow directions on the packet.
2. Next mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt in a large bowl.
3. Then mix in basil, spinach, tomatoes, eggs, and oil in bowl. The batter will be very dry.
4. Add in yeast/water mixture. The batter will be very sticky.
5. Add batter to greased bread pan and top with cheese.
6. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees, until the toothpick comes out clean.
7. Wait for it to cool and then serve and enjoy. This is best served warm, drizzled with olive oil. Watch out, because there will not be any leftovers. Consider yourself warned.